Have you ever wanted to create one of those cool round profile pictures? Those circular headshots that you see on expert roundups and other kinds of blog posts?
Well, if you’re a Photoshop genius, it’s easy! But what if you’re “graphically challenged”?
Even if you don’t have fancy image editing software and you’re not a graphic designer, there’s a quick and easy way to make a round crop of a photo (and even add some cool effects, too).
In this mini-tutorial we’ll use the website CutMyPic.com, a free online app that does just one thing: crop and add effects to photos. But the good news is that it does it very efficiently! Make sure to bookmark the link.
Choose and Upload Your Photo
Choose the image file you’ll be cropping (.jpg, .gif or .png) and click “Go!” When choosing an image, use one where the top of the subject’s head is not near the top of the image (it will make it harder to center the circle when you crop).
We’ll use this stock photo for our demonstration:
Crop and Customize Your Photo
Slide the “Round Corners” slider all the way to the right. This will make your image perfectly round.
Then, slide the “Add Shadow Effect” slider over about a quarter of the way for a light gray drop shadow.
You can keep the original color, or choose grayscale (black and white) or another color tone by clicking the buttons under the example.
Then, scroll down to the original photo at the bottom of the page.
- Tick the “1:1” box to set the aspect ratio to square.
- Drag the little orange circles to frame your subject’s head. There are two cropping methods that look good. You can either center their eyes/nose in the box, or center their eyes horizontally and place their eyes about one-third of the way down from the top (see Rule of Thirds).
- Click “Preview.”
- Click “Done.”
Save Your Image
Click the download button to save your image, or share it with email, Facebook or Twitter.
Well, that’s it! I hope this helped you. If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.
Latest posts by Matt Thomas (see all)
- 10 Blogging Coaches and Mentors to Help You Jumpstart Your Blog and Make Money - September 11, 2018
- How Blogger Tom Dupuis Earns $100K+ Per Year Creating SEO Tutorial Posts - June 28, 2018
- The 5 Biggest ‘Talking Head’ Video Mistakes - October 17, 2017